Saturday, December 10, 2011

sloppy joes

I'm usually not a big fan of sloppy joes. Mostly because I hate the 'sauce' in the can. So, I found a recipe from scratch. Worked out perfectly since we had a company Christmas party today. I was able to make the recipe in bulk. I forgot to take a picture until after, so there isn't much left in the crock pot.

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 (8oz) can of tomato sauce
1/4 cup of ketcup
1/4 cup of barbecue sauce (I used hickory smoked flavor)
1 tablespoon of firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon of dry mustard
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce

In a large skillet, brown meat. Drain and return to skillet. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If they appear too 'loose', continue to cook with the cover off until it is the consistency you like. 

Now I made mine for a party, so I browned the meat and added all the rest of the ingredients to the meat in a crock pot. On low for 3 hours and it was perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment