Monday, December 26, 2011

christmas 2011

This year has gone by so quickly. That is for another blog post. Yesterday was Christmas. A very good one! My Dad got here on Wednesday. Well, pretty much Thursday. I picked him up at the airport around midnight. We went out and did some Christmas shopping on Thursday. He and Chris went first while I stayed to watch movies with Conner. Then it was my turn to go with him to shop for Chris and Conner. It wasn't as crowded as I had thought it would be. Friday it snowed so we stayed in. Didn't want to kill my dad with the crazy drivers here. He got to go out and play in it for a few minutes with Conner. Saturday I went to watch Jessica's girls for a little bit so she didn't have to take them out in the cold weather. I made some cheesy chicken spaghetti that night and she joined us for dinner. Then was Christmas!

Conner gave us a little trouble getting to bed Christmas Eve. I think he was really excited for opening presents. I'm currently debating on whether or not we want to continue with the whole Santa thing or just tell him the truth. When I had found our Santa wasn't real, it made me so sad, and I don't know that I want to do that to Conner. I remember telling my mom she was a big liar and I'm pretty sure it was the first time I said I hated her. Of course that wasn't true, but I was a little kid and upset. We have an entire year to figure that out. We put the gifts under the tree and the small gifts in the stockings and headed to bed.

I woke up a little earlier so that I could make breakfast and we could all eat before opening presents. I figured Conner would give me trouble with eating before, but I made Christmas tree pancakes that were red and green and he loved them! I handed out the gifts and he dug right in. We had the ones from us, the ones from my dad, one from Jessica and a ton from Chris's parents. I'll try to name them all, but he was literally swimming in a floor full of gifts! We got my dad this Chicago Bears six pack holder that has an ice pack in the middle to keep it cold. He doesn't drink, so he will use it for Dr. Pepper. :) We also ordered something to be sent to his house. He's a truck driver, so we got him one of those heated massaging cushions for his back. I got super spoiled this Christmas. Chris's parents got us a new Canon camera with a tripod and carrying case. It's beautiful! Chris got me a Nook 1st edition with a reading light attachment and a few seasons of Dexter, my dad got me two $50 gift cards to get books for the Nook, and Conner got me this amazing Harry Potter mug that changes when you put hot liquid in it and the Harry Potter dvd box set. Jessica also got me the most adorable Cheshire Cat ornament! Chris got a new MP3 player with a Chicago Bears speaker attachment, a hoodie, a Shaun White snowboarding game for the Wii (which he has played more in the past 24 hours than the entire time we've had the Wii!), and a gift card and new running shoes from my dad. Now Conner.. let me attempt this lol. From us he got a huge Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with all of the characters, Thomas the train pj's, Cars 2 dvd, some new art supplies, a hopper (those balls you sit and jump on) and some miscellaneous stocking stuffers. From my dad he got all new themed stuff for his walls (sports theme), some Cars pj's and a bunch of dvd's. From Chris's parents he got Mater and Lightening McQueen cars, big Elmo floor puzzle, a Cars play tent, a big thing of puzzles, a Farmhouse play set, a big tree house play set, some new clothes, a nice new jacket and a ton of other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head. He also got some Mickey Mouse pj's from Jessica and a jacket and pants from Uncle Mark.

I told you, the kid made out like a bandit. I made a late lunch/early dinner of ham with a homemade brown sugar glaze, green bean casserole and deviled eggs. Overall, this has probably been the best Christmas we've had as a family. I'm glad my dad got to come be a part of it for a second year in a row. We dropped him off at the airport this morning. Goodbyes suck. Conner was so sad. He's gotten used to the last few days of waking up and Papa being right there. The first thing he'd do would say good morning and give him a hug. Tomorrow will  be heartbreaking for him. But he had a blast, as did Chris and I, over the past 4 days. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Now we're just sitting around. Conner and Chris are playing with their new things and I'm writing this. The year is almost over and I only have a few days left to reflect on it. I'll write a different blog for that, though. For now, I'm just going to enjoy the next few days with my little family and be thankful for all the love and generosity that resides in everyone we know.


2 comments:

  1. Well jeez. My gifts sucked in comparison! :p
    I'm glad y'all had a great Christmas and thank you for including me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jess, your gifts we're awesome! chesh fits perfectly into my little christmas display :)

    ReplyDelete