Wednesday, June 20, 2012

belated father's day post

We aren't big on celebrating Hallmark holiday's. I personally don't think there needs to be a specific day to celebrate being a father (or mother). We should do that every day :). This year, however, I made an exception. If you read my last blog, you know that Christopher is going to be deploying shortly after the arrival of our second baby. I wanted to make sure he had a good day by doing something fun. So Conner and I set to planning a day out. We made this neat little card that we found on Pinterest. He was so proud of it.


We wanted to go one step further, though. We printed off a generic treasure map. Around the edges I wrote this message: "It's time for an adventure. Don't ask any questions. Grab the pink backpack, blue cooler and wear comfy clothes. Enter this address into the GPS: Strand Ave, Tybee Island." I was going to take him to the ocean for the first time. He's never seen it, and neither has our son. I packed the bag and cooler the night before and was able to sneak off to the store to buy a few last minute items which I stashed in the trunk. Sunday morning, we got up early and I got his favorite doughnuts for breakfast. After breakfast, Conner gave him the card and treasure map. Chris happily complied and off we went. 

We found a good parking spot and walked up to the beach. We spent a few hours building sandcastles and swimming. After we got tired out, we went to this little place for ice cream before we headed back home. It was a very successful day. Here's my favorite picture from the beach.


I don't know how I'm going to top this next year, especially since he won't be here physically. Sigh.




No comments:

Post a Comment