Sunday, August 12, 2012

deployment craft #2

Since I already did a craft for the kiddos, I thought I'd also do something sweet for Chris. I did some browsing around on Pinterest and found a cute little thing where she wrote letters for specific times and sent them with her husband. I used that as a sort of tutorial to do mine. 

Here's what you need:
blank cards (or cardstock to make them)
envelopes
writing utensil
decorative embellishments
twine (or yard)

You probably have everything listed just laying around your house. I went to A.C. Moore and found tiny cards that had tiny envelopes to go with them. Saved myself some time there. Instead of decorative embellishments, I used my mad drawing and coloring skills to decorate my cards. I then carefully (read: very quickly) jotted down a bunch of reasons why he might need a little pick-me-up. On the front of the envelopes I wrote "Open Me When..." and then the reason beneath. I'll list some examples below once I finish explaining the craft. Then it was on to the cards. On the front of the card, I did some doodling to go along with what "Open Me When" was on front. Inside the card, I wrote whatever I wanted to. Then I sealed the tiny card in it's matching tiny envelope. After 45 minutes or so, I had a tiny stack of tiny cards ready to be tied up. I wrapped twine around the cards and hid them in my dresser. I plan to give him the card stack as he is leaving, briefly explain what it is and let it be. I mean, if you read "Open Me When..", it's kind of self-explanatory, right? Then again, he is a man. So a brief explanation will work along with it. Lol. Swear I'm not sexist. My husband and I just have a good sense of humor. 

My hope is that he can open these cards when he needs them and they brighten his day a little. He can use these in between getting mail and care packages from everyone. Here is a small list from the top of my head of reasons I wrote on the cards. I'm too lazy to go grab the cards and write them all on here, as that would require unwinding the twine and all that.

See how cute it is?!


"Open Me When"
-when you leave: Inside I wrote a little note about how we would be with him every step of the way.
-when you really want a home cooked meal: Inside I wrote about the day we refer to as 'the meatloaf incident' and how MRE's and chow can't be worse than that.
-if you get sick: Inside I put a band-aid (clever, I know) and said 'feel better'.
-when you really miss the kids: Inside I had our 2 year old draw things for him.
-when you can't sleep: Inside I wrote how I sometimes steal all of the blankets and the positive is he doesn't have to fight me for them.
-when you miss me: Inside I wrote a bunch of reasons why I love him.
-when you are on the way home: Inside I wrote how we made it and we can't wait to see him.

Those are just a few examples. I can't wait to give them to him. I know it's the little things like this (no pun intended) that will make his days easier. 


2 comments: