Tuesday, November 1, 2011

vagetable jambalaya

I am definitely stepping out of my comfort zone with this one. It tastes great to me, but then again, I've never had actual jambalaya before. The recipe originally called for black-eyed peas, but I hateee them. So I exchanged it for the pinto beans.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 medium bell pepper, coarsely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 can (14 oz) vegetable broth
1 cup frozen whole kennel corn
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes, undrained

Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in rice. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is light golden brown. Stir in broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender. 


No comments:

Post a Comment