Sunday, March 9, 2014

Mint Chocolate Fudge

My favorite holiday, St. Patrick's Day, is fast approaching. Most people celebrate for a day, I celebrate for a week. Yes, a full week! Irish food, St. Patrick's Day crafts, green EVERYWHERE. Possibly an Irish carbomb or three. 

My spring break conveniently starts on St. Patrick's Day. To begin this celebration, I thought I'd try my hand at fudge for the first time. It's one of my favorite sweet treats, I've just never made it myself. I knew I wanted two things: 1. Green and 2. Mint. Because mint is delicious and goes perfect with chocolate.

I found a super simple fudge recipe and added a few alterations to create this beautiful (and delicious) piece of art. It's seriously so easy. I tried to do the cool swirly thing to mix the colors and, well, I'm not advanced enough in the art of fudge making for that to have worked. Instead, I got a layered look. Good enough!


Ingredients:
1.5 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1.5 cups white chocolate chips
14oz sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp mint extract
green food coloring

If you have the fancy pots to melt chocolate, you can used those. I am not sophisticated enough for that, so I just used 2 microwave safe bowls. Line a 8x8 baking dish with foil, to where the foil is hanging over the edge. Melt chocolate (each in their own bowl) by microwaving 10 seconds at a time. You don't want to burn the chocolate. Once it is melted well, split the 14oz can in half, 7oz for each bowl. Stir well. In the white chocolate, add in 1 tsp of mint extract (more if you like it super minty) and a few drops of green food coloring. Stir and continue adding food coloring until it is your desired shade. I used 7 for the mint color. Pour one bowl into the foil wrapped dish. Use a spoon to gently move the chocolate evenly over the bottom. Pour the second bowl over that. I used a separate spoon (since I was stirring each on it's own) to spread that over the top. To get the swirly pattern, you're supposed to use a butter knife to gently swirl. As you can see, it didn't happen for me. I think I was just too scared to put the knife too far in thinking I'd rip the foil. The directions for the regular fudge I found said to let it sit in the fridge overnight, but I let mine sit for 5 hours and it was fine. I'm impatient. Lift the foil out f the dish and gently pull it away from the fudge. Cut into small squares. This fudge is SUPER rich, so you don't want the squares too big. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for future eating. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment