Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Irish Soda Bread

This is the make up post 1/2 to make up for the day that I missed. I've only ever made this bread once before. This time, since my boys have issues with dairy, I attempted to use almond milk. I'm not sure if that is what caused the issue, but it was TERRIBLE. I decided to redo it, using the most basic, traditional recipe I know. 

There is literally nothing fancy about this bread. It was not originally intended to be beautiful, hopped up with raisins and a ton of other ingredients. It was meant to be made with items on hand. Note: Many people make it with fruit and such. Technically, there is no "traditional" white soda bread. 



Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used gluten free)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt

That's it. Really. Preheat oven to 425F. Lightly flour a baking sheet. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Slowly add in the buttermilk until it is clumpy and moist. On a lightly floured surface, knead just until it will hold together. Do NOT over handle the bread. Come to think of it, that was probably my problem the other day, not the almond milk. Anyway, once you can form it, make a circle. You want it to be about 2" thick. Cut a deep "X" in the top, at least an inch down, or it won't bake well in the center. Transfer to the baking sheet. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes. Leave it on a rack to cool before handling. 

Now the butter comes in. Get yourself a nice helping of butter, because who doesn't love butter, and spread it on that lovely bread. Savor. There you go! You've just made (un)traditional Irish soda bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment