Tuesday, September 4, 2012

hospital bags, take two.

Being that this is baby #2, I already know that there are some things I packed the first time that were not necessary, and some things that I did not pack that were very much needed. With little man's estimated birthday fast approaching, I keep getting the itch to pack our bags, just in case. He seems pretty comfy in there, so it'll probably be at least a few more weeks before we will need them, but can't hurt to be prepared! 

Again, keep in mind, that everyone has a different labor and delivery. The lists I'm going to be presenting are totally based on what I personally find necessary or useless. I'll give my reasoning, but I'm sure there is someone out there who could counter absolutely everything I say. In the end, it's what is best for you. :)

Mommy's Bag DO's:
-Clothing. Uh, duh. Unless you are in a nudist colony or are doing a home birth, chances are they will make you get dressed before you leave. As much as we all want to snap back to regular size, and some people really do, most of us will still look pregnant when it's time to vacate the premises. Bring comfy clothes. My bag specifically has a few dresses for ease, some sweatpants, nursing bra (without underwire), socks and a few t-shirts.

-Underwear. Again, unless underwear isn't your thing, these are needed. I suggest old ones, as postpartum bleeding can be a big mess. They'll likely get ruined. Or you could opt for some depends. I'm totally serious. You might think it's a ridiculous suggestion, but the local birthing center actually suggests adding these to your birth bag. That way you don't have to bring the next mentioned items:

-Pads. Yep. Unless you go the depends route, you need some gigantic, oversized pads. Overnights work best, from my experience. Most hospitals will give you a few pairs of mesh undies and a handful of pads and that's it. So this one, for me at least, is very important. 

-Hygiene kit. I don't know about you, but my favorite thing after giving birth (aside from snuggling my newborn) was getting that first shower. The hospital will give you some generic little samples to use. I hate those. I went and bought a small, clear travel bag and travel size shampoo, conditioner, body wash, deodorant, toothpaste, mouthwash, face wash, hand sanitizer and bath sponge. Then I added in some hair ties, a razor, chapstick, hand mirror, brush and a ziploc bag (to but the wet sponge in) from home. Some people also like to bring their makeup. That really isn't a big deal for me. I rarely wear it, and that'll be the last thing on my mind once I have a newborn in my arms. 

-Snacks. Now listen, doctors and nurses will try to deter you from eating and offer you ice chips. With my first, I listened to them. I was in active labor for 17 hours and hadn't eaten since the night before. By the time it was all said and done, I spent nearly 36 hours without any food. It was terrible and I had zero strength. The point of them not letting you eat is pretty much so you don't throw up. I'm going to be honest here, I can still throw up with just water and ice in me. And it's much more rancid than if I had food in my stomach, since it's mainly acid. This time I am bringing granola bars, crackers, juice and hard candy. I'll still gratefully accept the ice chips, because I love ice.

-Electronics. Cell phone, camera, chargers. Pretty self-explanatory here. I'll need the phone to keep our sitter updated and get updates about Conner. Plus, it's kind of helpful to be able to call family after. Camera to take lots of pictures and document my labor, the delivery and the sweet baby once he enters the world. Chargers for both, because I'll likely show up with them half dead.

-List of numbers. You know, that list of people you need to inform of the grand entrance. Parents, In-laws, grandparents, etc. 

-Birth plan. I already brought mine in for them to make a copy of, but I have two more copies. One that my husband will keep on hand and one for my doula. 

-Boppy. I plan to nurse, and this will help me keep baby up when my arms are about to fall off from trying. 

-Nipple cream. Sometimes hospitals will provide some for your use, but in the case they don't, this will be a lifesaver if you are nursing.

Mommy's Bag DON'Ts:
-Books or journal. Seriously. I brought these to my first with full intentions as using them as a distraction method. I found quickly that having contractions every 45 seconds doesn't really make for a good reading or writing atmosphere. Again, this is just me. Some people might find it comforting.

-Music. Again, just me. I found it oddly annoying and I just wanted the room to be quiet so I could concentrate.

-Breast pads/pump. As much as you want to leak (if you plan to nurse), chances are that won't happen while you are in the hospital, since it takes your milk a few days to come in. For the pump, hospitals provide them for your use if needed. And again, your milk will most likely not come in fully until you have gone home. No point in packing the extra bulk.

Now that we've discussed mommy's bag, let's move on to baby's. As stated several times before, this is specifically based on what I personally feel is or isn't necessary. 

Baby's Bag DO's:
-Clothes. A couple onesies will do for the hospital stay. Mittens so they don't scratch their face. Socks. Socks also work well as mittens. Sometimes better. I also have a special 'coming home' outfit for the day we get to leave. It includes a onesie, pants and a hat. Honestly, the hospital provides a hat, receiving blanket and shirt anyway. Your baby burrito doesn't need too much for the stay.

-Nail clippers. Some people say not to cut baby's nails, but Conner came out with some serious nails and I didn't have any. I resorted to biting them off for him, but I really wished I had brought my baby clippers.

-Burp cloths. Newborns spit up. You'll need at least one to wipe them off in the car on the way home.

-Wipes. The hospital will likely provide you with some of these, but a small travel case is helpful for diaper changes on the way home. Not going to lie, I use these for everything though.

-Baby book. Most hospitals do their footprints on a keepsake certificate. If you bring your book, they usually don't mind putting them in there for you as well. Saves you some time and mess when you get home. It's also a good idea to bring this so you can record the stats of the birth and baby.

-Carseat. This is a no-brainer. You won't be allowed to leave without one properly installed in your car.

Baby's Bag DON'Ts:
-Too many clothes. As previously mentioned, you (as long as baby and you are stable) will only be there for a few days. You don't need to bring their entire wardrobe. 

-Toys. Seriously, they are newborns. The sleep, poop and eat. They have no interest in toys yet. 

-Bottles. If you are breastfeeding, that is self-explanatory. If you are formula feeding, they won't let you use your own bottles anyway. Don't waste time and space for them.

-Diapers. Unless you are cloth diapering from the beginning, don't pack these. They give you a package while you are there. 

Some other things you may/may not find helpful to pack are 'big sibling' items. We want our toddler to be as involved as possible in every aspect of the new baby to attempt to avoid jealousy issues. After all, he has just spent 3 years as an only child with our undivided attention and now he will have to share it. I have a gift that from his baby brother, which is a book. He loves books. He also has a t-shirt that matches the baby's coming home outfit. Your support person will most likely need snacks as well. Unless they plan to make a run during the labor or recovery period. A pillow and blanket for your support person, since the ones at the hospital are usually limited to the bed being used by mommy. I used a backpack to put my items in and the diaper bag to put the baby's in. Now they are sitting with the carseat in the nursery waiting for that moment when we need to throw them in the car. Or for the moment I feel a need to put them in there, just in case. Haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment