Monday, July 9, 2012

pallet flag

Oh my gosh, I am SO excited that we have finally completed this project. I saw a picture of a (much nicer looking) pallet flag and wanted to recreate it, making it look more 'rustic'. I should have taken step by step pictures, but I'll explain the best I can.

First, we had to get wooden pallets. We accomplished this by finding some at WalMart. We used 2 of them. Chris removed all of the boards, splintering them along the way. He then pieced them back together, kind of like a puzzle, and nailed them into the base. 

Next, get some red, white and blue spray paint. Make sure it's weather proof if you plan to put this outside. We used duct tape to tape off the section that would be blue. Sprayed that and let it dry. Next, mark where your red/white stripes will be. We did not have room for all 13stripes, however, I made sure we began and ended with red like it should. Alternate the red and white stripes and let dry. I had a nifty star stencil leftover from a previous project, so he used that for the stars. Spray those white. Once it's all dry, you have a nice (or old, weathered looking) American flag!



For the time being, it's just propped up outside a window in the front of our house. I plan to do something else to make it a better decoration, but that's for another time. I have to draw up my plans for that and get the approval from the boss man. :) Overall, it took us less than $6 to make this. We just needed to buy paint. The pallets were free and we already had the stencil, duct tape and nails. Hope you like it as much as I do!


No comments:

Post a Comment