Friday, February 10, 2012

conner's first visit to the dentist

I was such a ball of nerves, it wasn't even funny. I had no idea how he would react to his first visit to the dentist. I HATE the dentist. Mostly because when I had my first filling, the dentist that was doing it was telling me horror stories while injecting the novacaine. I never got over that. However, I know I need some fillings done and I am farrrr overdue for a cleaning, and Conner had never been. We researched like crazy to find a dentist we thought would be great for both myself and Conner. Too bad we are leaving to Fort Stewart in May, because I actually really like this dentist. A few people had suggested we check out Dr. Care. He accepts both older and younger patients, and is super military friendly. 

I called yesterday and they got us both in today. Conner did so awesome! They had a play area out in the waiting room, so while we were waiting (which wasn't a long wait) he played. Once we got back there, he got some stickers for being good while I got my x-rays done. He thought the big machine that rotated around my head was the coolest thing ever. It started and he goes 'WOOOOAH!' lol They have tv's in every little area so he could watch while he got his teeth cleaned. He opened all wide and even let her polish them. He has another molar that is almost completely cut through and I had no idea. He hasn't had any fevers or fussed any like he was in pain. He was a really awesome teether with most of his other teeth, so the fact he got this one in without us knowing isn't much of a surprise. The dentist came in to count his teeth and he was super impressed with Conner's manners. He gave him a new tooth brush and some more stickers for doing so well during his visit. 

I knew my teeth were going to be crap. I have 2 new smaller cavities in the back and then the 3 that need to be refilled in the front. I just got my teeth cleaned today. I have to have consent from my midwife in order to get the fillings done. They are going to use a laser on the back 2. I had no idea that they go do fillings with a laser. No needles or drills for that part. But the ones in the front I will have to be numbed and then drilled on. No big deal. I knew it would have to happen. I'd rather get it over with now before they get worse. As long as my midwife says it's okay, that is. Conner sat there and watched the movie while I had my teeth cleaned. He held my hand at one point and told me 'It's okay, mommy. Spit the water' which made myself and the nurse crack up. My little man is growing up so fast. 

We have awesome insurance. I'm so glad I signed Conner and I up for United Concordia. Our cleanings were free and for all 5 fillings, it will be less than $100. That is fantastic, considering when I originally had my fillings done in high school, we paid a lot for it. We're so lucky to have insurance in the first place. That's all for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment