Sunday, May 15, 2011

angel baby bubble memorial

On Mother's Day, I wrote a letter to Baby Myrda and said at the end that I wanted to do something special, to let him/her know that we think about him/her every day. Shortly after I posted my blog, it popped into my head: a bubble memorial. I have done balloon releases before, but bubbles are better for the environment. I also decided, I wanted as many people as possible to get this little peace of mind. The statistics are hard to hear, but I think more people need to be aware. So I am starting this blog this morning, and will finish it up tonight with a homemade video of pictures from the bubble memorial here at Fort Bliss as well as pictures sent in from across the country of people blowing bubbles to their angels.



First and foremost, statistics. Nearly 4.4 million pregnancies are confirmed in the U.S. every year. Out of those, approximately 900,000 to 1 million will result in loss. If we break that number down, 500,000+ end in miscarriages (before 20 weeks gestation). 1 in 4 women will have a miscarriage. Some will miscarry without even knowing they were pregnant. About 26,000 end in stillbirth (after 20 weeks gestation). Approximately 19,000 end in infant death during the first month, and about 39,000 during the first year. Approximately 19% of the adult population has experienced the death of a child (miscarriage - adult-aged children). Miscarriages are VERY common. Some women will experience 1-3 miscarriages before ever carrying a pregnancy to term.

During your time of loss, you can expect to feel broken, alone, scared. This is normal. Please know, you are not alone. There are millions of people in your shoes. Not only did I create this event to bring a feeling of peace to myself, I did it to  bring people together. To give them a sense of relief. To SHOW them they are not alone. If that is the only thing that they walk away from this event feeling, then mission accomplished. 

I will update with the video as soon as it is made. 

Love, Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment