Monday, April 25, 2011

free love day.

It started off as an event, and grew into something fantastic. About a week ago, I got an event invite for 'Free Love Day'. It shared a story about someone's high school crush ending her life by suicide, and how the creator of this event wished he would have said something to change her mind. The instructions were easy, draw a heart on your wrist for the day. Very much similar to 'To Write Love On Her Arms' Day. So I complied.


I also posted a status on Facebook along with my picture: 'today i am walking around with a heart drawn on my wrist to represent those lost, those who have survived, but mostly for those who just need to hear these three words more often. I LOVE YOU! we can can make a difference. don't let suicide win.'

And then came the love, from family and friends. I also posted this status on the event itself and was so happy that others decided to use it as well. It's pretty cool knowing that something I wrote is now all over Facebook. :) A few of my friends who participated sent me pictures of their hearts. Here are a few:
 Jackie <3
Sierra <3

Liz <3

It makes me smile to see so many people coming together to spread awareness of something so serious. I know I have already written a blog about self injuring and suicide, but I think this is something that needs to be talked about over and over. It's the best way to get the word out. Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States. Many who commit suicide struggle with serious depression. Some get help, some hide it. Never miss a chance to tell someone 'I love you'. Those three words could save their life. A simple smile could make someones day. 

If you feel like or know someone who is thinking about committing suicide, tell someone. If you don't feel comfortable telling someone you know, there are Crisis centers serving every major city. There is also a suicide hotline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). It is completely confidential. 

Love, Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment